Bicyclists have legal rights to ride on Texas roads. Unfortunately, that puts cyclists at risk of being struck by a faster-moving motor vehicle. Bicycle accidents occur all too frequently in McAllen and across the Rio Grande Valley. If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident caused by another person, you could be entitled to financial compensation.
The McAllen bicycle accident attorneys of Herrman & Herrman are here to help you seek full and fair compensation after a bicycle crash caused by a motorist’s negligence. We will fight to protect your rights and assist you in getting your life back on track following your accident.
In Texas, a person injured in a bicycle crash may seek compensation from the at-fault party for both economic and non-economic damages. Receiving a fair settlement for your bicycle accident can be challenging if you try to handle the claim on your own. Insurance companies will try to deny liability altogether or minimize your injuries and try to settle your claim for the lowest amount possible.
Our skilled personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of clients. We are prepared to help you get the compensation you need after a bicycle crash. We have the experience, knowledge, and resources to take on those responsible for your accident.
If you were hit by a car driver while riding your bicycle, the insurance company will most likely try to place some of the blame on you for the accident and offer you a lowball settlement. Never accept the insurer’s offer without having an attorney review it.
The McAllen bicycle accident lawyers at Herrman & Herrman will seek to negotiate a settlement that covers all of your damages. Call today at 844-426-6000 to schedule a free and confidential consultation.
Bicycle Accidents in McAllen, TX
If you were riding your bicycle in a bike lane, on a road or anywhere else in McAllen that you legally had a right to be cycling, and you were injured by a negligent motorist, another cyclist, or any other party, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your medical bills and related accident expenses.
Because every bicycle accident case is different, only a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can evaluate the fair value of your claim. That’s why the aggressive bicycle injury lawyers of Herrman & Herrman are ready to discuss what happened to you.
We are proud of our successful track record of verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients. We have secured compensation that has allowed our clients to pay their bills, regain financial stability and move on with their lives.
After a bicycle crash caused by others’ negligence, you may seek compensation for:
- Medical bills (past, present, and future)
- Lost wages
- Loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
Once our McAllen bicycle accident attorney have assessed how your bike accident has affected you physically, emotionally, and financially, we will seek for you the maximum compensation available in the case.
In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including bicycle injury claims, is two years. Contact us as soon as you can so we can get started on your case. Don’t delay. Call us before it’s too late.
Causes of Bicycle Injuries in McAllen
If you were injured in a bicycle accident in McAllen that was not your fault, it’s vital that you consult with a skilled bicycle accident attorney. A bike crash attorney at Herrman & Herrman will be able to determine the type of accident, who is liable, and the types of compensation you are owed.
The vast majority of bicycle accidents in Hidalgo County are the fault of motorists who were not paying attention or who were driving recklessly.
Common causes of bicycle crashes include:
- Failure to observe stop signs or traffic lights: These accidents happen when motorists slow down but don’t come to a complete stop at a light or sign. A cyclist may be struck while proceeding through an intersection, resulting in serious injuries.
- Failure to yield: When a motorist is making a left turn, he or she may not see an oncoming cyclist. This can cause serious injuries to the cyclist if the cyclist crashes into the turning vehicle or if the vehicle strikes the cyclist.
- Following too closely: Tailgating is extremely dangerous. When a driver does not allow enough space when following a bicyclist, it can have dire consequences if the cyclist stops suddenly.
- Vehicles operating in bike lanes: Motorists don’t always practice proper bicycle lane etiquette, which can cause accidents to occur.
- Side swiping: These accidents typically happen when the motorist does not give the cyclist enough room while passing. Drivers should always maintain a safe distance of at least three feet between the vehicle and the bicycle when passing a bicyclist.
- Dooring: These accidents occur when a driver opens a car door to exit the vehicle without checking for oncoming cyclists. A swinging door can strike the passing cyclist and cause a crash.
- Driver turning right: These accidents occur when a motorist turns right and fails to yield to a bicycle that is proceeding straight. A driver may also overtake a bicyclist and cut them off when making a right turn.
- Pulling out: When a motorist pulls out of a driveway without checking for oncoming cyclists, it can cause an accident. It is imperative that motorists check for cyclists when pulling out of a driveway.
- Riding against traffic: A significant percentage of bicycle accidents in traffic occur when a cyclist is riding against oncoming traffic. Riding the wrong way in traffic can lead to severe injuries and even death. Cyclists should ride in the same direction as traffic, never against traffic.
Common Bicycle Injuries
When a bicyclist is thrown to the ground or run over by a car, the injuries can be severe or even life-threatening. Even when wearing a helmet, a cyclist is vulnerable to serious injuries in a collision with a car or truck.
A bicycle rider can suffer bone fractures, spinal cord injuries, head injuries, and more. Blunt force to certain parts of the body can be devastating.
Common injuries from cyclists striking the ground, the windshield, or other objects include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Facial injuries
- Neck injuries
- Ruptured discs
- Knee injuries
- Bone fractures
- Dislocated shoulder
- Scrapes, bruises, and cuts
- Road rash
What to Do After a Bicycle Crash
Taking the proper steps following a bicycle accident can be essential to seeking compensation for your injuries.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in McAllen, the lawyers at Herrman & Herrman recommend that you take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention. If you were injured, call 911 so you can get emergency medical personnel and police to the scene right away. If you are physically unable to do so, ask for help. Make sure you see a doctor. Medical records are evidence that you were injured, and they document the extent of your injuries.
- File a police report. A police report provides documentation and key details of the accident, including the cause of the accident and the identity of witnesses.
- After the accident, leave your bicycle in the state it is in. The police need to see the accident scene and your bicycle as they were after the accident.
- Collect the contact information of any witnesses. Witnesses can provide important information about the accident. They could even be called to testify if your case goes to trial.
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries. Make sure you get a variety of pictures from varying angles and distances. Also keep a diary of how you feel after the accident. This can all be important evidence for your injury claim.
- Don’t negotiate with the driver who caused your accident. Record the license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance card.
- Don’t provide any recorded statements. Insurance adjusters may want you to provide a recorded statement, during which they’ll try to trick you into making statements that can be used to undermine your claim. Never talk to insurance adjusters before first consulting with an experienced McAllen bicycle crash lawyer.
Contact a McAllen Bike Accident Lawyer
The McAllen bicycle accident lawyers at Herrman & Herrman have been helping bicycle accident victims for many years. We are proud of our record of success in helping the injured in McAllen and throughout Texas. Our personal injury lawyers have successfully handled more than 20,000 cases in the Lone Star State, and we have over 100 years of combined experience.
If you or a loved one was injured in a bicycle crash in the greater McAllen area, talk to one of our skilled and compassionate McAllen personal injury lawyers as soon as you can. We will fight tirelessly toward recovering the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact us at 844-426-6000 to schedule a free and confidential consultation so we can discuss your legal options.