If you have sustained a serious injury in Austin caused by someone else’s carelessness or disregard for safety, you need to understand your legal options. You may have a right to claim significant compensation.
Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C. is a full-service personal injury law firm serving those who have been injured through no fault of their own in Austin, Texas. Our attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience representing injured clients. Throughout the state of Texas, our team has successfully handled more than 20,000 personal injury cases and counting.
If you have been injured due to another person’s negligence, you should not be burdened with the medical bills or loss of income caused by an injury that was not your fault. Texas civil law may allow you to seek compensation for your expenses and losses. To bring a successful personal injury case, you will need the assistance of a reputable, experienced local injury lawyer. Herrman & Herrman practices exclusively in Texas and seeks to provide personalized service to each of our clients.
Contact us today for a free consultation.
How Can an Austin Injury Attorney Help with My Claim?
If you were injured in an accident that resulted from someone else’s carelessness, we recommend consulting with one of our Austin-based personal injury attorneys. Many people who have been injured are understandably apprehensive about hiring an attorney to handle their case, especially if they are dealing with costly medical expenses and other expenses. The financial stress may be compounded if the injured person cannot work due to the injuries and loses income.
Fortunately, the personal injury lawyers at Herrman & Herrman work on a contingency fee basis. Our law firm does not charge any legal fees unless we obtain compensation for you. In other words, your attorney doesn’t get paid unless you get paid.
At Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C., our Austin personal injury attorneys have the resources to:
- Gather evidence to build your claim against the at-fault party
- Keep you updated on every significant development in your case
- Ensure you receive the appropriate medical treatment for your injuries
- Document all of your losses and determine the value of your claim
- Advocate for your interests with the insurance company
- Offer you access to our network of expert witnesses, including healthcare professionals and accident reconstruction specialists who can testify on your behalf
- Seek to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company
- File a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf if settlement talks fall through
- Present your case effectively to the court
Our attorneys at Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C. handle many different types of injury cases. Whether you were injured in a motor vehicle crash, a slip and fall accident, a medical malpractice incident, or another type of accident, our compassionate attorneys are available to discuss your situation. If your injury limits your mobility, one of our attorneys will be more than happy to visit you at home, at work, or in a healthcare facility.
What Do I Risk by Not Contacting an Experienced Austin Injury Lawyer?
You might think that you can handle your injury claim yourself. However, insurance companies are less likely to accept liability and offer a full settlement if you don’t have a lawyer advocating on your behalf. The more serious your injuries, the higher your medical expenses will be and the more likely the insurer will be to dispute your claim.
If you have never negotiated with an insurance company before, they may try to take advantage of you. The insurer’s goal is to protect its profits by minimizing its payment of claims. The insurer may try to shift the blame to you or offer you a quick settlement that seems adequate but, in reality, is less than you deserve. If you enter into a settlement agreement without consulting an attorney, you may be short-changing yourself. You may end up with significant out-of-pocket expenses.
You are more likely to obtain a fair amount if you hire an attorney to handle negotiations with the insurance company on your behalf. Insurance companies know that they can’t get away with the same tactics when negotiating with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer.
What Damages Are Available to Personal Injury Victims in Austin, TX?
Accidents often cause severe injuries, but physical injuries aren’t the only hardship an accident victim may suffer. You could incur medical debt, a substantial loss of income, and face other related expenses from the accident.
There are two main types of compensation available to personal injury victims in Texas. They are:
- Economic Damages – Economic damages are financial losses caused by the accident. Any financial expense you suffered due to the accident should be covered under economic damages.
- Non-economic Damages – Non-economic damages are non-financial losses suffered by personal injury victims, such as pain and suffering.
In certain circumstances, an accident victim may demand punitive damages as part of a personal injury lawsuit. Punitive damages are only available if you can prove that the defendant acted with gross negligence or malice. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the defendant for misconduct and to discourage similar behavior in the future.
What Compensation Is Available After an Injury in Austin, Texas?
Some common forms of compensation available to personal injury victims include:
- Hospital bills — If you suffered significant injuries in an accident, you may have thousands of dollars of hospital bills, including costs related to diagnostic tests, emergency room treatment, hospitalization, and much more. You may demand compensation for all of these medical expenditures.
- Medication expenses —You can pursue compensation for prescription medication costs.
- Rehabilitation — For some injuries, you might need months of physical therapy to regain the use of an injured limb and recover to the extent possible. Like hospital bills, rehabilitative care is a compensable expense.
- Job loss and costs of living — Depending on the severity of your injuries, you might have to take off an extended period of time from work to recover from your injuries. As a result, you might have to take unpaid leave, and or you might lose your job entirely. Without a steady source of income, you could quickly find yourself falling into debt. If you were injured due to another person’s negligence, you may pursue compensation for lost earnings or the wages you would have earned if you had not been injured. You can also seek compensation for future lost income if you were disabled due to the accident and are expected to have a reduction in future earnings. If you’re disabled, you might not be able to do the same job anymore, or you could be placed on light duty. Through a personal injury claim, you may seek reimbursement for the money you would have earned.
In addition to the various financial losses you suffered, you can also pursue non-financial compensation for the pain and emotional anguish caused by your injury. Pain and suffering is a broad legal term encompassing the physical, mental, and emotional effects of your injuries. You might be able to pursue compensation for physical pain, emotional anguish, mental distress, depression, anxiety, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other types of suffering.
You may also seek compensation for the loss of quality of life if you suffered a debilitating injury. For instance, if you were immobilized due to a long-term injury, you might not be able to enjoy your usual day-to-day activities anymore, and other areas of your life, such as your relationships and your career, could be permanently affected. If you can prove to a court that you suffered a significant loss in your overall quality of life, you may receive compensation for your diminished quality of life.
You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible after a serious personal injury accident to discuss your legal options. Our Austin personal injury lawyers at Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C. can help you determine whether you have a valid claim. We will not accept anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Austin Emergency Medical Care
If you sustain a serious injury in a car accident or another type of accident, your top priority should be receiving prompt medical care. If your injuries require emergency treatment, you may be treated at one of the following emergency departments in Austin:
Emergency Room, Dell Seton Medical Center at The University of Texas
1500 Red River St
Austin, TX 78701
St. David’s Medical Center Emergency Room
919 E 32nd St
Austin, TX 78705
Emergency Room – Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin
1201 W 38th St
Austin, TX 78705
Ally Medical Emergency Room
5525 Burnet Rd Suite A
Austin, TX 78756
Courthouses in Austin
If you are considering filing a personal injury lawsuit in Austin, it may be filed in Travis County District Court which has jurisdiction over civil lawsuits in which $200 or more is in dispute.
Austin Municipal Court
6800 Burleson Road
Building 310, Suite 175
Austin, TX 78744
Travis County District Court
Austin, TX 78701
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney in Austin
If you have been injured due to another person’s negligence, contact the Austin personal injury lawyers at Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C. We will provide you with a free consultation to discuss your accident in detail and how our team may help you seek justice and fair compensation for the harm you’ve suffered. We’re committed to putting you first, so contact us now for help.