• Twitter icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Youtube icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Snapchat icon

Parents sue Arlington over son’s death

ARLINGTON, TX – The parents of a boy who died after contracting a rare brain-eating amoeba at a splash filed a lawsuit against the city of Arlington on Monday, KRGV reports.

Tariq and Kaayla William say that their three-year-old son developed a fever of over 102 degrees shortly after visiting the splash pad located at Don Misenhimer Park.

Their son would eventually be hospitalized with a fatal infection caused by the naegleria fowleri amoeba. He died on September 11th.

According to the CDC naegleria fowleri infections occur people go swimming and water containing the amoeba enters their body through the nose.

CDC found the amoeba in water samples that they collected from the splash pad the victim visited at Don Misenhimer Park. A review of the facility also found that maintenance standards were not being met.

The lawsuit claims that city “failed to adequately monitor and chlorinate the city’s splash pad water, making the splash pad unreasonably dangerous.”

All four of the city’s splash pads have been closed.

Do you have a family member who has died in an accident caused by the negligent actions of a facility or organization? If so, the San Antonio premises liability lawyers at Herrman and Herrman would like to speak with you. Depending on the details of your case, we might be able to secure you financial compensation to help cover funeral costs and missed wages. You can reach us online or by phone at (210) 405-7039.

About the Author