Boating is one of the great outdoor activities that many worldwide enjoy during the warmer spring and summer months. However, there are times in which the tremendous open waters can be dangerous. If you are not careful or if those around you are not careful, you may be involved in a boating accident. If you’ve been in a boating accident or you want to know what you should do if you are in one in the future. Here’s what you need to know.
Seek Medical Attention
The most crucial thing in any accident is to make sure you seek adequate medical attention. For any injuries that you may have incurred or that others in your party may have incurred. Stop your boat, check in on everyone, and assess the situation. Make sure you cooperate with all first responding and emergency medical personnel to stay safe.
Report the Boating Accident
According to federal law, you must alert the Coast Guard if you have been involved in a boating accident. Especially if it resulted in a fatality, missing persons, an injury that requires more than first aid treatment, property damage of more than $2,000 in value, or a destroyed boat or water vessel. You should also report the accident to local authorities to have an official accident report on file.
Record All Evidence
After the accident, you must record all evidence you can. This includes taking a photo or video footage of the damage that resulted from the accident, taking eyewitness accounts and collecting witness contact information, and writing down your understanding of the events. It would be best if you also held on to any receipts for expenses you paid due to the accident, including repairs and medical bills.
Get Legal Counsel
If you think the accident resulted from negligence on the part of another party, you should retain legal counsel. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you win the compensation you deserve.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.