Buc Days 2016
Driving down Ocean Drive in Corpus Christi, Texas you can’t help but notice the roller coasters, slides, tents, and rides when Buc Days is in town.
If you’re new to Corpus Christi you may be asking, “What is Buc Days?” The Buc Days (short for “Buccaneer”) Festival and Parades is Corpus Christi’s longest-running Pirate festival that’s held downtown every year since 1938. This event includes a Stripes Carnival, petting zoo, parades, roller coasters, rodeos, and live music. The entire event is held here in Corpus Christi for 10 days.
Those who did not attend this year were not only missing out, they were in the minority. Roughly 51% of all Corpus Christi residents participated in at least one of the many events that Buc Days offered. The biggest crowd usually gathers when the Buc Days Pirate Queen and King Scholarship contestants go by on their float. This scholarship program is designed for high school seniors who plan to continue their education after college as each year 20 students are awarded $37,000.00 in collegiate scholarships from the Buc Days Festival.
History of Buc Days
- 1519 – Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda, a Spanish explorer, discovered Corpus Christi Bay.
- 1800’s- Jean Lafitte and his fellow gang of pirates raided and looted trading ships in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
- 1814 – Pirate Lafitte aided General Jackson’s troops during the War of 1812 in the defense of New Orleans. Because of this, he and his gang of pirates received a full pardon from President James Madison.
- 1821 – After the presidential pardon, Lafitte and his fellow pirates moved to the beautiful shores of Corpus Christi, Texas.
- 1938 – The first annual Buccaneer Days celebration was held. It was originally a three-day event formed to signify the beginning of summertime in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- 1941 – Buccaneer’s Day celebration included the City of Corpus Christi dedicating the newly built Seawall and Bayfront Project.
As Buc Days continues to be an annual event for the citizens of Corpus Christi be sure to check out what’s new as each year there’s something new and different to see. It’s a great family event that everyone can enjoy. As always at large events such as this, enjoy yourself, be responsible, and have fun!