There are many different types of dangerous car accidents. One of these accident types is hit and run, wherein the party who caused the accident leaves the scene of the incident. The person who leaves the scene has committed a crime, and this crime is punishable by law if they are found guilty in court. If you have been involved in an auto accident or even a fender bender where the person who hit you left the scene, it’s important to know what the laws are and what your rights are as a victim.
What Does a Hit and Run Look Like?
The basics of a hit-and-run accident are clear: one person hits another person on the road and drives away without stopping and exchanging information or speaking with authorities on the scene. However, you may think that hit and runs are car-on-car. They can also be a car on pedestrian, a car on non-moving car, a car on a cyclist, or a moving car hitting other objects or property.
What Should I Do as the Victim of a Hit and Run?
If you have been the victim of a hit and run, there are a few things you should do. The first is, of course, to tend to any injuries you may have. You should then make sure you report the incident to the local authorities and include any detail you can: your personal account, any photos you took, any witnesses to the incident, and, if possible, the license plate number of the offending vehicle. Then, you should contact an experienced personal injury or hit-and-run attorney in your area. A good attorney can make all the difference in fighting your case and getting any compensation you deserve.
What Penalty Might the Offending Party Face?
The offender of the hit and run could face criminal charges depending on the damage done. They may also face a civil case in situations of less damage or less severe injuries.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.