Tire blowouts are never fun, and if you do not know how to handle them properly while driving, they can be incredibly stressful events that can throw you off and even cause accidents or other safety issues. While no one hopes to experience a tire blowout, it’s important to learn the proper way to handle them while driving so that you can be a more confident and capable motorist. Here is how to handle a tire blowout safely while driving.
The most important thing to remember when your tire blows out is to stay calm. Nothing will make the situation worse than panicking. Take some deep breaths, accept that this is happening, and move forward.
When your tire is blown out, you can lose control over your vehicle, so it’s important to stay firm and steer straight. You may your car wobble a bit but keep going straight.
Step on the Gas Lightly
This may sound counterintuitive but stepping on the gas lightly can help the situation. Speeding up a bit will help your regain control over your car and the steering. It’s important not to slam on the brakes when you notice your tire blow out because your car could swerve or spin out.
Naturally Slow Down
After you lightly accelerate, wait until the car naturally slows down. After your car slows to under 30 MPH, you can start lightly braking.
Get to the Side and Call for Help if Needed
After you start braking, get to the side of the road or to a safe place to turn off, like a gas station or garage. Then, you can switch out your tire for a spare or call a tow truck or roadside assistance if needed.
While no one hopes to experience a tire blow out, it’s important to read up on them and know how to handle a tire blowout if needed. Keep these tips in mind the next time you hit the road.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.