A car accident can be more complicated to resolve when multiple vehicles are involved. Determining liability, for example, is both crucial and challenging in a multi-vehicle crash. It often involves dealing with two or more insurance companies when seeking compensation for your injuries and losses. Insurance companies may try to deny or minimize their liability.
If you’ve been involved in a multi-car accident in the McAllen, TX, area, it’s imperative that you speak to an experienced multi-car accident lawyer who has the resources and skills to investigate your case and stand up for your rights. The car accident attorneys at Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C., have more than 100 years of combined experience helping people seek the money they need to move forward with their lives after serious injuries. Our clients have recovered millions of dollars with our help.
Herrman & Herrman is well-known for our commitment to our community, including an annual scholarship. To get your free review of your rights after multi-vehicle accident, call our McAllen law office or visit our contact page. Our staff can assist you in Spanish or English, as you prefer.
Who Is Liable in a Multi-Vehicle Crash?
One of the key challenges when it comes to obtaining compensation for your injuries in a multi-vehicle accident is determining liability. Because there are more than two vehicles involved and there may be multiple injured parties, it can be difficult to determine which driver is at fault for which injuries. Accidents are rarely clear-cut. It’s important to find a McAllen car accident lawyer who will thoroughly examine the accident and develop a persuasive case so that you receive just compensation.
Determining financial liability will depend on identifying which driver or drivers acted negligently and caused the accident. Drivers have a responsibility to other drivers and passengers on the road to obey traffic law and drive safely to avoid endangering others.
Negligent actions that could contribute to a multi-car accident may include:
- Reckless or careless driving, such as failing to yield or making unsafe lane changes
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Failing to slow down during adverse weather conditions
- Following too closely or tailgating
Multi-vehicle accidents are particularly challenging because more than one driver may be held liable. For example, one driver’s distracted driving may cause the initial impact in an accident, while another driver’s tailgating may cause additional vehicles to be involved in the accident.
Several drivers may share liability in a multi-car accident, increasing the number of insurance policies available to provide compensation to those who have been injured. A thorough investigation of the accident can help identity which drivers are liable and which drivers may seek compensation.
As you can see, sorting through issues like these is a complex task. This is why it is important to talk to a multi-car accident attorney as soon as possible if you’re involved in a crash.
How Is Fault Determined?
Under Texas law, a legal doctrine known as comparative negligence is applied to weigh the fault of each driver involved in a car accident. Under the comparative negligence system, compensation after a crash may be awarded according to the percentage of fault for each party involved in the crash.
As long as you were not more than 50 percent at fault for causing the crash, you can recover compensation for your injuries, even if you were partially to blame. For example, if your compensation was worth $100,000, but it’s determined that you are ten percent responsible for the multi-car accident, you would then be eligible to receive $90,000 in compensation.
Determining liability in a multi-car crash can be a challenge. It’s vital to have as much evidence as possible to support your claim. Having resolved many car accident claims, a skilled McAllen car accident lawyer at Herrman & Herrman will know the types of evidence to seek out to build a strong case.
Some of the evidence that is commonly used in these cases:
- Police reports – McAllen police will respond to the scene of multi-car accidents, especially if there are serious injuries or someone has been fatally injured. They have trained investigators who can help determine the cause of the crash. The police will usually include this information in an accident report, which you can request. The police may issue a traffic citation or charge one or more drivers for their role in the accident.
- Witnesses – It’s important to get contact information from anyone at the scene of the accident who may have witnessed the crash. Witness information may be in the police report, as well.
- Pictures from the scene – Take photos of the accident scene from all angles or ask someone else to do it for you if you are unable. Photos of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles can help shed light on the circumstances of the accident and may help support your injury claim.
- Traffic cameras – Depending on the location of the accident, there may be surveillance camera footage of the crash. Your attorney will seek to obtain footage of the accident from nearby properties, businesses, or traffic cameras.
- Medical records – Your body reacts in different ways to different types of trauma, and your medical records play a crucial role in establishing the severity of your injuries and losses.
Recent Multi-Vehicle Accidents in McAllen
Multi-car accidents are rare but can have terrible consequences when they occur.
According to a report from KRGV in Texas, an 18-wheeler was recently the center of a multi-vehicle accident on Eastbound Expressway 83 near the McAllen Medical Center.
A massive pile-up in Fort Worth in adverse weather involved 133 vehicles — yes, 133 vehicles — and cost six drivers their lives. While that’s obviously an extreme example, it still shows the havoc a multi-car accident can cause.
Contact a McAllen Multi-Vehicle Accident Attorney Today
Don’t let the daunting legal challenges surrounding multi-vehicle accidents prevent you from getting the compensation you deserve. Call our McAllen multi-car accident attorneys at Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C., today for your free case review, or reach out to us on our contact page.