From the 1st of September 2019, new laws took effect in Texas. These new laws range from feral hog hunting to the breastfeeding of infants.
Some important new Texas laws for the year 2019
- Lemonade stands: The HB 234 states that Children without a license can open lemonade stands without going against the law. Neighborhood associations will no longer be allowed to stop children younger than 18 from selling lemonades and other non-alcoholic beverages on private properties.
- Tobacco sales: The SB 21 states that anyone younger than the age of 21 is prohibited from buying cigarettes. The purpose of this law is to reduce the addiction level.
- Feral Hog Hunting: The SB 317 states that landowners no longer require a hunting license to hunt feral hogs on their property. This law is only applicable on private properties.
- Cough Syrup: According to SB 1518 0nly people older than the age of 18 can purchase drugs that contain cough suppressant dextromethorphan from stores. This is because this ingredient has been found to be abused by teenagers who use it to get ‘high’.
- Increased Driver Fines: The SB 2408 law will put an end to the Driver Responsibility Program. Traffic tickets fees in Texas will have a 20 dollars increase. Fines for people driving under the influence will also be increased.
- Fishing and Hunting License: The HB 547 permits the people of Texas to present authorities with digital fishing and hunting licenses.
- Abortion Providers: Under the SB 22, state and local government bodies will be prohibited from partnering with organizations that conduct abortions. This also applies to services that are not related to abortions.
- Nude Pictures: The HB 2789 states that it is illegal to send a person unsolicited nude pictures through any social media platforms, emails or texts.
- Female Inmates: The HB 650 bans the chaining of pregnant inmates in a hospital. The prisons will also be made more accommodating for female inmates.
- Free Speech: The SB 18 states that everybody on a campus should be allowed to be expressive and to speak freely.
- Pumping Breast Milk: The new law permits women to pump breast milk whenever and wherever they want. The previous law gave mothers the freedom to breastfeed anywhere but did not include breast milk pumping.
- Telemarketers: According to the new law, telemarketers are banned from using fake numbers to call Texans.
- Handguns: The HB 1177 permits people to carry handguns the week after a natural disaster has been declared by the governor.