School buses have many additional safety precautions associated with them, primarily because school buses carry some of the most precious cargo around our children. That is why it’s imperative to be acquainted with school buses’ safety rules, whether you’re a student, parent, or fellow driver on the road. Here are some of the most important safety reminders when you’re around school buses.
For Parents and Students
First, you should make sure you—or you and your child—get to the bus stop early. When the bus arrives, make sure you stand at least six feet back from the curb where the bus stops. Make sure you wait for the bus driver to say it’s okay to hop on before you or your child boards the bus. Then stand clear of the doors and use the handrails as needed. If you or your child drops something near the bus, make sure you tell the bus driver before leaning down to get it. The reason for this is that if you bend down to retrieve your item, the bus driver may not be able to see you and may start driving. If you’re a parent seeing your child on the bus, make sure you stand back when the bus starts to drive away.
For Other Drivers
If you’re a driver who often intersects with a bus route or bus stops, it’s important to brush up on bus safety rules. The first one is one most people know: if a school bus stops and extends its stop sign arm, both lanes of traffic must stop for the duration of their pause. Oftentimes, they are picking up or dropping off students who may be crossing the street. It’s also generally a good idea to drive slowly when you encounter a school bus, as they may stop at any moment and they may stop frequently. You should also be aware of any school zones in your area and slow your speed to abide by the posted speed limit.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.