Whether you’re new to San Antonio or you’ve lived in San Antonio your whole life, it’s important to become acquainted with the laws that govern and regulate the use and enjoyment of e-scooters. E-scooters can be a fabulous new way of getting around San Antonio, but they come with challenges and complications the way all transportation modes do. If you’re looking to stay up to date with the e-scooter scene in San Antonio, here are some laws you should familiarize yourself with.
What is an E-scooter?
Before we cover any of the laws and regulations about e-scooters in San Antonio, we should first define what an e-scooter is. An e-scooter, also called an electric scooter, is a rentable method of travel popularized by Lime, Lyft, and Bird. In San Antonio, you may also be familiar with a local brand of these zippy scooters called Blue Duck Scooters.
E-scooters are a great way to solve what many urban planners refer to as the “last mile problem.” That is, how do we get from our public transit stop to where we need to be? In many ways, the scooters have helped alleviate this problem. But, it’s important that if you use one, you do so safely and know the laws in Texas.
What are the most important e-scooter laws in San Antonio?
The key laws regulating the use of e-scooters in San Antonio are as follows:
- You must be at least 16 to rent and use an e-scooter.
- You cannot have any additional passengers on your e-scooter.
- Obey all city and state posted traffic laws.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Use the bike lane. You should not be using the sidewalk to ride an electric scooter, and if you are in a populated area, make sure you stay at least two feet away from all pedestrians.
- Do not operate a scooter while using a cellphone.
Though it may seem obvious, the last rule is highly important. Texting while scooting can be almost as dangerous as texting while driving, so make sure you have both hands on the handlebars and are not distracted while you take your e-scooter journey.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.