If you have been in a car accident, a slipping and falling incident, or other situation wherein you were harmed because of the actions—or inactions—of another person, you may have been the victim of negligence. This would indicate that you may be able to hire a personal injury attorney to help you get compensation for your injuries or other costs. Some costs that could be recovered are loss of wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering expenses.
If you want to recover any of these costs, however, you must be familiar with the statute of limitations in Texas for personal injury cases.
State by state, there are different policies in place that dictate how long you have in order to take someone to court after you have been the victim of a crime, such as a personal injury caused by someone’s deliberate infliction—often referred to as “intentional torts”– or by negligence. In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the date of your injury. In most cases, the personal injury case would be filed in civil courts.
Adhering to this two-year deadline is critical if you want your case to be heard and if you want to be eligible for any compensation for your damages. In some circumstances, but definitely not all, the window could be extended. However, you should not depend on this if you believe that you were the victim of negligence and could be eligible for compensation. These exceptions are typically only granted to those who are legally disabled, which means they are a minor at the time of the accident, or they were of “unsound mind” at the time of the accident, which can get difficult to prove.
If you were involved in an accident that caused harm or deliberation infliction of harm, it is crucial that you retain a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Retaining the help of an attorney can be the difference between recovering costs associated with your accident and suffering without compensation.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.