Buses are large. Have minimal turning radii and lack many security features that passenger vehicles typically have, such as airbags and seatbelts. Because of their large size, buses also need more lead time to break, and they have bigger blind spots. Whether you’re a passenger of a city bus, a pedestrian or biker, or a driver of another vehicle on the road, crashing into a city bus can be dangerous and complicated. Here is what you need to know about city bus crashes and who is liable.
Figuring out who is liable for a bus crash can be difficult. In some cases, it could be a third party like a cyclist or other motorist determined to cause the accident. In the case of a private bus company, like a company that charters buses for trips or a tour bus company. The driver or company responsible for the bus would also be responsible for the accident. However, in the cases of public buses or city-owned buses, liability determination can be different.
Typically, in city bus cases, both the city department of transit or transportation and the driver themselves could be found liable and sued for damages associated with the accident.
What to Do if You’re in a Bus Crash
If you have been in a bus crash, either as a passenger or as another driver on the road. You should know what actions you should take. First, if you or others are injured, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Then, make sure to record photos or your personal account of events. This will help you prove your case in the future. Could also help you assess damages for which you could be compensated for.
If you or a loved one was injured, fatally or not, you should reach out to an experienced bus crash attorney in your area. A trusted attorney with experience in city bus accidents will benefit you as you pursue damages from your case.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.