• Twitter icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Youtube icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Snapchat icon

How Do I Get The Damage To My Car Fixed After A Wreck?

So you were recently involved in a motor vehicle collision which caused some significant damage to your vehicle and your body. You’re wondering a number of different things, including how you are going to get from point A to point B, now that your wheels are gone. What do you do? Do you call your insurance? Do you call the at fault parties insurance? Is the injury to your body included with the claim you make for your damaged property? This blog should answer questions that will help you immediately following a collision, and the days following.

The wreck just happened. What’s the first step?

Call the police and make sure they properly document the scene and get your side of the story! It important that the objective third party that arrives at the scene has all the information so he or she can make an informed decision about what happened. Remember to document the scene as well yourself! Take pictures! Get a copy of the crash report and the peace officer’s name! Make sure you do this!

Should I call my insurance?

Before you call your insurance, make sure you get the other parties insurance. After you have all the insurance for everyone involved, you are now in a position to contact the insurance company. Make sure you check with your representation first though, before you make any decisions in terms of reaching out to insurance and speaking to an adjuster.

What if I wasn’t at fault? Why should I call my insurance?

There are some benefits to calling your own insurance and using that insurance to fix your property damage, the main one being time! Your insurance will always take care of you quicker than the adverse parties. Don’t worry though, if you’re not at fault and your insurance fixes your property damage, they will be reimbursed by the at-fault insurance through a process called subrogation.

Is the injury to your body included with the claim you make for your damaged property?

No! They are always separate claims, so don’t worry! The money that is paid by the insurance company for your property damage is different than the money that will be paid out in a settlement for your bodily injury.

It is important to always know your legal rights and be properly apprised of them in every situation. If you have ever been involved in a motor vehicle collision, you may be confused about the process and what to do next. The attorneys at Herrman & Herrman PLLC are always on standby to help! Contact Herrman & Herrman PLLC, located at 1201 Third St., Corpus Christi, Texas 78404 or 801 E. Fern Ave., McAllen, Texas 78501. If you have any questions about a potential claim or would like to sit down for a consultation and discuss your issue, please contact us immediately. At Herrman & Herrman PLLC, we always strive to put our clients, first!