Hurricane season is dangerous in any state in the country. Following Hurricane Harvey in 2017, you should be even more vigilant about your hurricane preparation if you live in Texas. Hurricane season in Texas is from June through November, but it’s important to know the proper ways to prepare your home and family at all times throughout the year. Here’s how you can keep your home, property, and family safe during this period of potentially catastrophic weather.
Get a Hurricane Insurance
Many in Texas and other coastal states choose to get hurricane and storm insurance. This is especially vital if you live close to the water. Storm insurance is often added to your standard home or car policy. Even though it’s an add-on insurance product, it should be taken very seriously. Make sure you purchase a policy that is adequate to cover the loss of your property. Take photos and make a list of everything of value that you would need to replace in the event of a storm.
Preparing for an Imminent Storm
If you are on hurricane alert or a hurricane warning in your area, you should read up on how you can prepare. Make sure you secure all windows and doors in your home with thick plywood or hurricane shutters. Buy enough non-perishable food and clean water to make sure you can survive a longer stay-at-home order. Store extra water for sanitation purposes as well. You should also make an at-home first aid kit in case of emergency. You may also want to purchase a generator for your home. If you live on a property that can accommodate it.
After a hurricane has blown through your area, it’s important to take stock of everything that has been damaged. After you do this, you should contact the insurance provider through whom you have storm coverage. If you need help navigating the process or believe that you were not paid out adequately for the damage you incurred, you can contact an experienced insurance attorney in your area.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in various injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.