• Twitter icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Youtube icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Snapchat icon

What Should I do if My Child is injured on School Property?

If you have kids, you’re likely no stranger to constant worry about their wellbeing and safety. When you send them to school, you should generally feel at ease about their safety, but sometimes, accidents happen. If your child is injured at a school event, during school hours, or otherwise on school property, you’re likely feeling confused about whether your child’s school has any liability. It’s important to know who is responsible, how to find help, and what your legal options are.

If Your Child is Injured at an After-School Activity

If your child is involved in an after-school activity, there are some inherent risks. Suppose your child is involved in a sporting activity. In that case, they may experience exhaustion or fatigue, breaking bones or spraining limbs and joints, concussions or other head trauma, or even severe and paralyzing injuries, like spinal injuries. Suppose your child suffers any of the above types of injuries. In that case, you should seek medical attention either from an emergency medical center or your pediatrician, who can guide a treatment program. Typically, suppose your child enrolls in an extra-curricular such as sports or even arts-related activities. In that case, the school will issue a waiver that you must sign to participate in the activity. The waiver form waives the school’s liability for any injury.

If Your Child is Injured on School Property during School

Extra-curricular activities are not the only times that your child could be injured. He or she may also be injured as part of a school bus accident, could incur medical harm from asbestos or other environmental issues with the school building, on the playground, or as a result of bullying or fighting at school. In most public schools, teachers have a “duty of care” to protect students from potential harm. You may be able to argue negligence if the school did not seem to have a plan for supervision and protection for students, and your child was hurt as a result.

What Should I Do if My Child is injured and I Suspect Negligence?

If you have reason to believe that your child’s injury is a result of negligence on the part of their school, you should contact a personal injury attorney in your area to help guide you through a case.

Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357

Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.

  • You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
  • We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
  • Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
  • We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
  • We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.