Dogs are often regarded as man’s best friend, but sometimes these limits are tested. When you get bitten by a dog, you may be curious what your legal options against the owner. If you get bitten by a dog and the bite is more than mild, or you have other reason to believe the dog owner was negligent in some way, here’s what you should know about their potential liability.
When is it the Owner’s Responsibility?
The liability of the dog owner may depend on which state you live in. In some states, it’s only the dog owner’s responsibility to know the dog was aggressive and did nothing to stop their behavior or protect the other party. However, in other states, the owner may be liable for any injury their dog caused, whether they knew about it or not. Always consult the laws in your state before moving forward with a legal suit.
First and foremost, you should seek medical attention for your injuries. Seeing a doctor or other medical professional can also rule out any diseases transmitted by a dog bite. Next, make sure to report the bite to the local authorities. Making a complaint is the first step toward getting compensation and making sure your claim is formal and official. Make sure you record any evidence you can, including speaking with any witnesses to the bite, taking photos of the injury, and making sure that you keep all receipts and records associated with costs you had to pay as a result of your injury.
When to Seek Legal Representation
If you’ve suffered a severe dog attack that left you with high medical bills or other financial losses, you should retain the help of a personal injury attorney with experience in dog attack claims. An experienced attorney will work with you and help you recover the costs you deserve.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.