Dogs are often referred to as man’s best friend, but at times, they are not so friendly. When you get bitten by a dog, the results are typically mild. However, if the dog bite is especially severe and it is from a dog that is not your own, you may want to take legal action against the dog owner. If you get bitten by a dog and the bite is more than mild or you have other reason to believe the dog owner was being negligent in some way, here’s what you should know.
Get Medical Attention
First and foremost, you should seek medical attention for your injuries. Dog bites can be severe, and if you’re unfamiliar with the dog who bit you, there may be other health issues to be concerned about. Seeing a doctor or another medical professional is the best way to make sure you are properly taken care of and are cleared of other diseases that may have been transmitted to you during the bite.
Report the Bite
Report the bite to the local authorities in your area so that you are aware. Making a formal complaint is the first step toward getting compensation and making sure your claim is formal and official.
Make sure you record any evidence you can. That includes speaking with any witnesses to the bite, taking photos of the injury you incur, and making sure that you keep all receipts and records associated with costs you had to pay as a result of your bite. This could also include any record of missed work as a result of your dog bite.
Seek Legal Representation
If you’ve suffered a severe dog bite that left you with high medical bills or other losses, you should retain the help of an attorney. An experienced personal injury lawyer will work with you and help you recover the costs you deserve. If you intend to recover costs from your dog bite, having the help of a lawyer can improve your odds of winning.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.