If you’re a motorcycle rider in the Lone Star State, you may be wondering if lane splitting is legal in Texas. The lane-splitting process as a motorcyclist is not always safe, especially in heavy or fast-moving traffic. If you’re a frequent motorcyclist in Texas, here is what you need to know about the practice of lane splitting on Texas roadways.
What is Lane Splitting?
Lane splitting is the practice of motorcycles sharing lanes of traffic with full cars or trucks. It also means that a motorcycle could cross a lane’s dashed lines to maneuver around a slow-moving or stopped car. The benefit of this is that a motorcyclist could get through heavy traffic faster. However, it is very unsafe in many cases as many vehicle drivers may not expect a motorcyclist to be winding around traffic. This could make the situation riper for motorcycle accidents. Lane splitting can also be especially dangerous if the traffic moves very quickly or is very dense.
Is Lane Splitting Legal in Texas?
As of right now, lane splitting is not legal in Texas. For that reason, a motorcyclist should be careful about trying to split lanes or move around other cars in traffic. It’s best to avoid this practice altogether.
What to Do if You’re in a Motorcycle Accident
If you are in a motorcycle accident, whether it was a result of lane splitting or not, there are some important things you should keep in mind. First and foremost is to avoid injury by wearing proper safety gear, including a helmet and clothing that protects your skin. You should also be aware of experienced personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyers in your area of Texas. Texas personal injury attorneys are your best bet if you aim to recover any damages from your accident.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.