If you’re in a car accident and your airbag did not deploy, it’s likely that you’re feeling a bit traumatized. Being injured in a car accident is one thing but being injured as a result of a safety feature not working correctly is completely different. It’s hard to know who exactly is at fault if your airbags do not deploy correctly, so here’s what you need to know.
How do Airbags Work?
Airbags inflate automatically in the event of a collision, especially a head-on collision. They are intended to stop your body from hitting the steering wheel, dashboard, or windshield to prevent serious injury. They can also cause potential harm to children or people who do not wear seatbelts in the front seat.
Why Wouldn’t An Airbag Deploy?
Sometimes, airbags do not deploy if the collision was not severe enough to warrant them, and that is intentional. They are not always necessary. Additionally, if the person sitting in either the driver’s or passenger’s seat is small enough or does not weigh enough, the airbag won’t deploy because it will not detect a heavy enough person to be able to take the impact from the airbag.
What Can Cause Injury With An Airbag?
Sometimes, airbags do not deploy, which can cause serious injury. They may also deploy at the wrong time, such as when you hit a curb or pothole, which also could cause injury. They may also deploy too late, which can cause injury or at the very least not prevent injury from a collision.
What to do if Your Airbag Doesn’t Deploy & You Were Injured?
If your airbag does not deploy, it needs to be reported to the NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation. They will investigate the automotive defect. If you feel like the manufacturer of your vehicle was negligent because the airbag did not deploy, you may have a case. Contact a reputable personal injury attorney in your area to see what your legal options are, especially if you suffered a serious or expensive injury.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.