Losing a limb through amputation is extremely traumatic and is often referred to legally as a catastrophic injury. If you have lost a limb in a tragic accident, you may very well be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries. If you or a loved one have suffered an amputation, here’s what you need to know.
Common Causes for Amputation
There a several common causes for amputation. One common cause is automobile accidents. In some particularly violent car collisions, amputation may be the only option to remove a person from a wrecked vehicle. Another common cause in motorcycle accidents. Motorcycle accidents, by nature, are typically more catastrophic than car accidents as the bikers do not have seatbelts and are not protected by the infrastructure of cars. Another common cause of amputation is construction site accidents. Sometimes, construction site accidents are the result of negligence or lack of safety precautions at the site.
How to File a Claim for Injuries
If you want to file for compensation for your catastrophic injuries, you will need to prove that your injuries were caused by an accident that you have no liability for. Often, that comes down to proving negligence on the part of someone else or proving that the injury was intentionally inflicted by another party. To do this, it is advisable to enlist the help of a reputable personal injury or catastrophic accident attorney. Having an experienced lawyer can make all the difference in winning your case and the compensation you deserve.
What Could You Be Compensated For?
In cases of amputation, as with cases of personal injury and wrongful death, there are some costs that you could be compensated for. These include pain and suffering, which may be quantified differently in each state, as well as medical costs, loss of wages from missing work, and lifestyle costs as a result of your amputated limb or limbs.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.