Rideshare services such as Lyft and Uber are some of the best modern innovations in mobility accessibility. These services can often be convenient ways of getting around, especially if you do not own your own vehicle. They are economically efficient and safer than getting behind the wheel at the end of a long night out. However, being in an Uber or Lyft car means that the driver is a contractor who works for the ridesharing company. This can create complications should you ever be in an auto accident. If you have been in an auto accident in rideshare like Lyft or Uber and you’re curious about what insurance is at play. Here is what you need to know.
Insurance Types at Play in a Rideshare Accident
The first type of “insurance” maybe one that isn’t explicitly referred to as insurance at all. Uber and Lyft do thorough background checks of their drivers to ensure that they will limit the number of potential accidents with their services. They also set standards for the condition and age of vehicles used on the platform.
If your rideshare accident happened when the driver was off duty. The insurance in question would be the driver’s personal insurance. However, if the driver was driving you or someone else while active on the app or was actively awaiting a passenger or drive, the Lyft or Uber insurance will kick in. Both Uber and Lyft provide drivers with coverage that covers the following amounts:
- $50,000 for bodily injury per person
- $100,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident.
Be Aware that Rideshare Companies Often Limit Their Liability
While big companies like Uber and Lyft have supplemental auto insurance for all their drivers, they can often limit their liability by classifying their drivers as independent contractors. Since they are not technically full-time “employees” employed by the rideshare company, the company’s claimed liability could be lower.
What to Do if You Are in a Lyft or Uber Accident
If you were in a Lyft, Uber, or other ridesharing service accident or were in an accident with a registered rideshare driver. You may be eligible for compensation. Get the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to help you parse through your case, no matter how complicated.
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless, and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to others’ negligent acts.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.