If you’re selecting a new doctor, it’s a decision you should take seriously. Nothing can sour your decision more than finding out the doctor you selected was previous sued for malpractice. It will always make you feel safer and better-taken care of if you’ve checked your doctor’s background and see that they have a clean bill of health—legally. Here’s how to check a doctor’s background for malpractice lawsuits
State Medical Boards
Every doctor should have a license through their state’s medical board. The state medical board also keeps track of disciplinary actions that have been taken against doctors, including suspension or revocation of licenses. This information is also free to access.
State Department of Health Services
If you’re selecting a hospital to visit or to take a loved one, you can see whether there have been complaints against your hospital of choice at the State Department of Health Services for your state.
Publicly Available Court Records
Your state may have publicly available court records that you can search if your chosen doctor’s malpractice lawsuit went to trial. Usually, these records are free, but they may also only be available for a fee.
A Simple Internet Search
In some cases, the internet could be your best friend. If you know the search term you’re looking for, like “malpractice” or “complaints,” you can couple it with your doctor’s name and your location. Typically, if they have been the subject of a suit, this information will show up. Make sure you search malpractice suits and complaints in multiple locations if your doctor is licensed in multiple states.
What to Do if You Are the Victim of Malpractice
If you suspect your doctor of malpractice and have suffered injuries or other life-changing events as a result of their negligence, you should retain an experienced malpractice and personal injury lawyer. They can help guide you through a case to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.