If you live in San Antonio, Texas, regardless of the life you lead, you should always be aware of certain rights you have as a citizen when it comes to the police. Among these concerns, you should know whether or not the police can enter your home in San Antonio. Under the Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution, all citizens are protected from illegal search and seizure. However, it’s important to know whether you are undergoing search and seizure and whether you’re in a situation where it is illegal or legal.
What to Do When the Police Knock on Your Door in San Antonio
If a police officer knocks on your door, you’ll likely feel nervous, whether you committed a crime or not. It’s important to know that if a police officer shows up on your doorstep, it may not always be because they suspect you of a crime. If they ask to enter your home, all you need to do is ask if they have a legal warrant signed by a judge. If they do, they will produce it for you to look at, and you will have to allow them entry into your home. If they do not, you may disallow them from entering your home.
When Can Police Enter With No Warrant?
In San Antonio and all of Texas, a police officer can enter your home or dwelling with no warrant if they have something called “probable cause.” Probable cause means that they have reasonable suspicion of you based on things they can perceive from your conversation. For instance, if they can detect that you or someone else is using illegal drugs in your home, that is probable cause. If someone in your house is screaming for help when you open the door, that is definitely probable cause.
If you think you have been the victim of an illegal or unreasonable search and seizure, or if police forcibly entered your home with no warrant and no probable cause, get in touch with an experienced criminal defense attorney in San Antonio. A San Antonio lawyer can help you fight your case.
Contact Herrman & Herrman P.L.L.C. at 361.882.4357
Our firm is equipped with over 100 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases across Texas. Our outstanding record of favorable settlements and verdicts includes over 20,000 successfully resolved cases. Once we take on a case, we are relentless and you can rely on us to pursue full compensation for you.
- You can trust our attorneys to be compassionate and professional.
- We will fight hard to obtain a fair settlement for you.
- Our firm represents the injured and families who have lost a loved one due to the negligent acts of others.
- We serve as counsel in a range of injury cases – including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, premises liability cases, product liability cases, and medical malpractice claims.
- We have the ability to dispatch the Herrman & Herrman Accident Investigative Team to the crash scene to start an investigation and preserve critical evidence.