Simply put, yes it does. Drivers should always be aware of the rules of the road and the awesome responsibility each driver has in always paying attention to keep themselves and the drivers around them safe. Too often, drivers are distracted and doing everything else in their car other than paying attention to the road.
In fact, the National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA) has put a list together after reviewing a number of car collisions which identifies the most common distractions that lead to motor vehicle collisions, a number of which are listed below:
- Distractions caused by being “lost in thought”
- Distractions caused by using a cell phone or texting
- Distractions caused by other occupants in the car
- Distractions caused by drinking and eating
- Distractions caused by adjusting controls within the vehicle (i.e. radio)
- Distractions caused by smoking
- Distractions caused by pets in the vehicle
If you have been affected by the negligence of a distracted driver, it is important to contact an attorney immediately to understand your rights. For more information about distracted drivers or to inquire about a free consultation, contact Herrman & Herrman, P.L.L.C., located at 1201 Third St., Corpus Christi, Texas 78404.